In many international reports, experts say that by 2050, the world’s agricultural sector needs to double its current capacity to feed the world’s population. While it becomes difficult to feed the world’s population, environmental factors are pushing the agricultural sector more. Reduction of water and expensive energy make production difficult for farmers.
Better management of productivity in agriculture and animal husbandry and the support of emerging technologies in recent years provide both short-term and long-term benefits to farmers. Smart agriculture using IoT, which will increase in importance in the next 10 years, has already started to change the agricultural sector and increase its productivity. Now the heat values of the vegetables in the greenhouses can be provided with a single button, cows and chickens in the farms can be followed on the mobile phone.
How Does Smart Agriculture Using IoT Benefit Today’s Modern Farming Industry?
Smart agriculture using IoT technology helps farmers reduce waste generated and increase productivity. Smart agriculture is a system that uses high technology to produce clean and sustainable food for the masses.
Intelligent solutions for livestock farms, greenhouses and open areas have become more and more widely used by farmers and production efficiency are created
IoT Applications In Agriculture Plays An Important Role in Smart Farming
Recent research by the McKinsey Global Institute shows that the agricultural sector has a very low digital penetration rate compared to other sectors. The remaining agricultural sector in productivity and the addition of new services is entering a new era in digital transformation with technologies such as the internet of objects and artificial intelligence. The use of IoT applications in agriculture plays an important role for smart farming.
IoT in Agriculture Increases Productivity with User-Friendly Application Solutions
At below, we discussed the practises of companies produce applications on agriculture and fish farming. We talked about the Top 5 IoT company that produces applications in agriculture and fisheries. Thanks to these practices, many farmers now use IoT in agriculture and IoT in fish farming.
- The Australian agricultural company, The Yield, focuses on keeping farm conditions to a certain standard. Agricultural technology company ‘’The Yield’’ won the ‘’IoT in Industry’’ award at the IoT Impact Awards in 2018. The company offers technology that reduces risks and increases productivity. They produce an end-to-end system that combines sensors, data analysis and applications. Engineers, data scientists, agricultural experts and technologists have come together to produce sensor technology. This technology instantly delivers data from weekly forecasts to past reports and helps you make better decisions. It senses, analyzes and presents information in a convenient way. It warns farmers of the risks associated with bad weather. The Yield supports its users to be aware of meteorological data such as precipitation and evaporation. Optimizes processes such as water need and chemical application to assess data such as current and future water balance, precipitation, temperature, leaf wetness, wind behavior and soil conditions. Provides special notifications for upcoming events that you need to be notified using 7-day forecasts. This decision support allows you to be quick to stop or start an activity. It can be very important to protect food from freezing or disease. Allows you to plan ahead using weather change forecasts.
- MotorLeaf from Canada is one of the leading companies in the development of agricultural technology. MotorLeaf is a platform that uses IoT in agriculture to manage the yield and quality of crops. They produce automatic greenhouse technologies made possible by artificial intelligence. This technology allows farmers to make data-driven decisions about how to best grow their crops. The technology has been produced especially for hydroponic greenhouses. Hydroponics has advantages in many respects compared to soiled agriculture. Soilless greenhouse does not require fertilization, spraying and over-irrigation. The fact that plants are not likely to be affected by diseases causes them to grow healthier. With hydroponic greenhouse, it is possible to obtain products continuously in indoor environments throughout the year. Thanks to this system the agricultural sector will provide deserts, cold regions and perhaps one day will be able to provide nutrients on Mars. The company promises a competitive advantage and a technology for commercial greenhouses to see the future of greenhouse operations provided by the most advanced artificial intelligence. The company says its customers have 2X to 3X return on investment using this technology.
- SciCrop aims the benefit of big data and intelligent farming technology into an actionable dashboard of information. SciCrop aims to transfer the benefits of big data and smart agricultural technology to a processable information board. They work to provide the fastest, most efficient, flexible and specialized solutions for the management of agricultural holdings. With the software they offer, it can process and integrate various data such as agricultural, weather and financial. With SciCrop CLIMA, one collects a range of weather data and provides a 15-day forecast. It also focuses on the financial analysis of the rural sector through an integration platform called WebFarms. Among its main functions are registration and environmental searches, property valuation, crop productivity and land use, which assist in the pricing and monitoring of registrations.
- AgroSmart is developing advanced technological applications to enable farmers to use data to discover the maximum potential of each seed and spent money. The application helps farmers monitor more than 10 environmental conditions. This allows them to make more educated decisions about how to allocate their resources and how to deal with pests. With this technology, it enables the monitoring of all lands from a single location, simplifying the operation and planning many activities from planting to harvest. It allows you to know how much rain falls before you go to the agricultural area, and monitors the soil moisture on each plot.
- Libelium is the provider of Internet of Things, smart cities and platforms such as M2M and hardware manufacturer of wireless sensor networks. Afarinesh Samaneh Mehr Engineering, Libelium official distributor in Iran, is active in a lot of fields including smart agriculture and smart environment. There are many fish farms in the north of the country. The company has developed an intelligent water sensor network to measure water quality parameters in these fish farms. Water pollution is the most important cause of financial loss in the market. The main objective of this project is to increase water quality, efficiency and to reduce costs. In order to increase the productivity in aquaculture, they took into account parameters such as water temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH, ammonium and nitrite. In this project, they have achieved gains such as reducing production costs, saving time and increasing productivity. Using IoT in fish farming is also important to ensure fish quality and to comply with international regulations.
Top 5 IoT Companies Produce Applications on Agriculture and Fisheries
Smart agriculture using IoT, which will increase in importance in the next 10 years, has already started to change the agricultural sector and increase its productivity.