Discussions on environmental issues and how to manage them bring up some new technology-based approaches: waste management IoT applications.Waste management is a form of management that includes the reduction of waste at source, separation according to its characteristics, collection, intermediate storage, recovery, transportation, disposal and control after disposal processes and similar processes.
According to the waste management pyramid, prevention of waste is the first priority. If this cannot be achieved, the waste is minimized, if not, recycled. If recycling is not possible, energy recovery is aimed. Following these methods, disposal of waste such as regular storage or incineration is applied to the remaining waste or all untreated waste. All of these are processes that need to be managed and sustainable solutions should be produced within these processes.
Existing processes partially solve the waste problem. However, the following problems are still seen:
- When it’s time to collect garbage, some trash cans are overfilled, while others are undefilled,
- overfilled waste bins cause unhygienic conditions,
- unoptimized truck routes result in excessive fuel usage, environmental pollution, inefficiency,
- the collection of all waste together makes it difficult to separate the waste at the recycling facility.
Almost two-thirds of the world’s population lives in cities. Therefore, sustainable solutions need to be developed for urban life. In today’s world, where efficiency and energy saving are one of the most important urban needs, energy recovery from waste, optimization of waste management processes, intelligent waste management and recycling systems draw attention. Smart waste management using IoT is a candidate method to meet such urban need.
New opportunities for smart cities: Smart Waste Management System Using IoT
A more comfortable life awaits us in the future with the combination of new generation technologies and creative ideas.
Waste management companies and utilities suffer from operational efficiency. In large or small cities there may be trash piles, trash scattering out of containers or similar problems. The use of applications such as the rise of the IoT and the spread of smart sensors in smart cities can make our lives easier. The most innovative aspect of smart waste management systems using IoT is operational efficiency and waste reduction.
Reducing Waste Occupancy Rate and Preventing Wastefulness
Intelligent waste management systems also take care of managing the amount of waste generated on a daily basis. Consumers and businesses spend millions of pounds on waste every year. It is particularly important for municipalities to evaluate waste to reduce waste, optimize storage areas and cost. It is an important and more complex process from IoT based sensors to an efficient purchasing process.
By using IoT technology, many innovative applications can be developed such as storing food at the desired rate in the markets, preventing spoilage by monitoring food, or identifying waste that can be recycled. Unlike traditional waste management systems, smart waste management system using IoT ensure efficiency through more rational and sound decisions.
The integration of IoT technology into our homes can also make our homes a part of intelligent waste management systems. Many innovative ideas will come to life with the integration of these intelligent products, such as stimulating systems when food expiration approaches, and recyclable waste bins distinguishing recyclable waste.
Waste management IoT applications for smart cities
Waste management IoT applications for smart cities can be easily implemented for waste control and recycling.
- The most common waste management IoT application is now the automatic route optimization of garbage trucks. IoT connects smart waste containers to a control center where an optimization software processes data and determines optimum management and determines the route that the collector truck must follow. According to information from the control center, the truck first goes to the most loaded container.
Waste collection costs are reduced and recycling quality increases. In addition, Sensor-enabled and internet-connected garbage bins can collect information on fill level, temperature, location, or any useful data. For example, the benefit of temperature measurement is to avoid overheating caused by waste in the container and subsequent fires.
- In Rotterdam, a program that uses ultrasonic sonar technology is used to detect fill levels in common containers in apartment blocks. This program uses computers in containers to optimize the collection of paper and cardboard waste. It performs level estimation, dynamic route planning and data analysis.
- In the Maltese Islands, around 800 smart recycling bins have been installed across the country against unsightly overflowing. The recycling bins are equipped with intelligent technology and instantly transfer their capacity level data to the IoT network.
- In India, an IoT-enabled solid waste management solution has been produced for the collection and transportation of solid waste. Sensors in garbage containers detect the level and weight of garbage and transmit this information to a server installed in the city’s data center through the existing cellular infrastructure.
Smart Waste Management System Using IoT is Changing the Waste Industry
The use of smart containers can save up to 50% in fuel, labor, truck maintenance and management aspects. For example, an American textile company, which works with a total of 1800 textile containers in 14 states, has achieved smart and efficient advantages in terms of yield and cost over a period of one year. It saved 43% in labor costs and 25% in fuel costs.
The smart waste management system using iot can put you ahead in the competition between industrial companies.
How can Smart Waste Management be implemented?
Both private waste management companies and municipalities can benefit from intelligent waste management technology. With the reduction of the costs of sensors and the widespread use of sensors; all waste management services can manage waste in cities with operational efficiency and lower costs.
New Definition of Sustainability: IoT Based Waste Management for Smart City
Iot technology produces logical solutions for intelligent city systems. Iot is now making our lives easier on environmental waste, especially environmental pollution.